Occupational Therapy Services (OT)
Providing you with the tools for daily life
Occupational therapy works to break down the barriers which may affect individuals during their everyday activities. pt Health Occupational Therapists examine the physical effects of an injury or disease. However, they also focus more deeply on the psycho-social, community and environmental factors that influence function.
Occupational Therapists may work alongside physiotherapists in order to provide a more comprehensive level of care. For more information of how the services of an OT can benefit you, call pt Health today.
Occupational therapists (also known as OTs) are regulated health care professionals who focus on promoting health and well-being through occupation. In this context, occupation refers to everything people do during the course of their everyday lives. The primary goal of occupational therapy is to enable people to participate in the occupations which give meaning and purpose to their lives.
Occupational therapists work collaboratively with people of all ages and abilities who experience obstacles when attempting to participate in daily activities. These obstacles may result from a change in function (thinking, doing, and feeling), because of illness or disability, and/or because of barriers in the social, institutional or physical environment.
At pt Health, we have an experienced team of registered occupational therapists. We believe that:
- Everyone has a right to participate in meaningful occupations.
- Participation in activities that give you joy are essential for health and well being.
- You know best what strategies will work for you. This means that you are the primary decision-maker in your therapy plan with us.
Occupational therapists assess, evaluate and provide options for individuals so that they can overcome the barriers that impact their participation in daily tasks. OTs are generally employed in community agencies, health care organizations such as hospitals, chronic care facilities, rehabilitation centres and clinics. They also work in schools and social agencies. Some also work in industry or are self-employed. There are also occupational therapists who specialize in working with a specific age group or disability. These OTs focus on conditions such as arthritis, developmental coordination disorder, mental illness, or spinal cord injury.
OTs help people get back to enjoying the activities that give value to their lives. Contact pt Health today to learn more about how occupational therapy can make a difference in your life!
- Assessment of Attendant Care (Form 1).
- Home Safety Assessment for people at risk of falls, wandering, or those who live alone and have chronic health concerns.
- Cognitive and Perceptual Assessments.
- Mobility Assessments for wheelchairs or walkers.
- Simplifying tasks and activities for people who show signs of cognitive deficit.
- Creating visual and environmental cues for prompting an older person's independence.
- Recommending tools for safety such as 24-hour support services.
- Hand therapy and splints.
- Return-to-Work plans.
- School-based for children and youth having difficulty with academic and social performance at school.
- Geriatric assessment for individuals who are at risk for and/or have multiple health issues interfering with their independence.
pt Health therapy services are covered by most extended health insurance companies and in some cases Veterans Affairs and Medicare - such as OHIP (Ontario), Alberta Health Care and Medical Service Plan MSP (British Columbia). Not sure if you're covered? No problem. We can help you find out (and usually within the hour). Just call us toll free at 1-866-749-7461.
At pt Health we believe your health should come first. We take care of the paperwork so you can focus on getting better, plus we offer direct insurance billing, saving you time and up front costs.
Learn more about coverage options available at pt Health
Ready to feel your best? Schedule an appointment at any one of our convenient locations near you.
Discover How OT Can Help You
At a Clinic Near You