Ontario Community Physiotherapy Program
Are you seeking physiotherapy services for a youth or senior, or are you recovering from an illness, surgery or injury that required an overnight admission in the hospital, or receiving ODSP or Ontario Works?
You may be eligible for government funded physiotherapy services. Many of our clinics are authorized to offer these services and can work with you to get back your mobility and function.
Does OHIP fund physiotherapy services?
Yes. OHIP stands for Ontario Health Insurance Plan. Funding is provided through the Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinic Program, and is available to eligible patients free of charge. First, a doctor or nurse practitioner must refer you to the program*. Your physiotherapist will determine eligibility, complete an assessment, diagnose your condition and develop a treatment plan. Treatments will end when your goals have been achieved, or when you can achieve your goals on your own, or through a home exercise or community plan.
* A referral from a doctor or nurse practitioner does not mean you are automatically approved to receive physiotherapy under this program.
What is covered?
OHIP covers the cost of in-clinic and virtual physiotherapy for youth, seniors, and other patients to address a new injury, fall, accident or surgery, or situations where symptoms have become worse and affect function.
There is no pre-set limit to the number of treatments you can receive. The number is based on your individual treatment plan and the progress you are making towards achieving your goals.
What is not covered?
OHIP does not cover physiotherapy if you:
- Want to maintain an existing level of function or ability to move
- Want long-term rehabilitation (talk to your healthcare provider for options)
- Need specialized services (e.g. for stroke and heart attack recovery)
- Receive other physiotherapy services funded through auto insurance, the Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB), or by other government funded healthcare programs (e.g. in-home physiotherapy)
Accessing OHIP Funded Physiotherapy
Many pt Health clinics across Ontario offer government funded physiotherapy services.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, and have a referral, find and contact a pt Health clinic near you. Please note that your referral may only be used at one clinic.
An Ontario health care is required for OHIP covered physiotherapy, unless you are approved for Ontario Disability Support (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW).